We have all been there. We are in a hurry and we have an essay due soon. We write it, we finish it, and we are not sure that it is correctly written. We want to double check it, but we are quite tired to do so. This is when we decide to check out an online proofreading program to help speed up the process. However, the problem is that you begin to rely on these programs more and more, instead of using an authorized proofreader. This is why, I decided to show you the main advantages and disadvantages of such programs and let you decide whether they are worth it or not.
Pros of using proofreading programs
- One of the main advantages of using proofreading programs is the fact that they are programmed to detect the most common errors. I am talking about those easy errors, that an advanced speaker of the language would not make. They will save you from making a total fool out of yourself.
- If you use a word too many times, proofreading programs usually see this and they normally give you some options to use instead of the word. This is a good thing, because it is quite annoying to read the same word 100 times in a row. In addition, using synonyms will help improve your writing flow.
- These tools are both time and cost efficient. Just think about it. Most of these programs are free, or come with a small fee, as opposed to using a human proofreader. In addition, it takes them a maximum of 10 minutes to proofread a text. It is almost impossible for a human to beat that timing.
Cons of using proofreading programs
- One of the main issues with these kind of tools is the fact that they are designed to detect only the most common errors. The problem appears when more complex errors appear, and the program is unable to detect them.They are usually complex structural errors. This is one of the times when it is better to rely on a human proofreader.
- These programs seem to detect errors even when they are not there. This is because of different writing styles. The problem with these proofreading programs is the fact that they are quite inflexible, limiting your ability to be creative.
- They can damage our self-esteem, due to the fact that they detect errors that are sometimes not there. In addition, we tend to rely so much on spell check and these types of programs, instead of learning the correct spelling of words. This can cause damage in the long term.
Now that you know what the main advantages and disadvantages of using proofreading programs are, it is up to you whether you choose to rely on them or if you would rather hire a professional proofreader. When it comes to Spanish, Microsoft Word corrector is one of the best, though is not as good as in English. Spanish is much more difficult than English and this also applies to bot proofreaders.
If you are looking for a Spanish proofreader, look no more, because I am here to help you. For any questions, do not hesitate to ask.